Monday, March 14, 2011

Journal Worthy Week

You wanna know what's weird?
 
As soon as I sit down at this computer to type it's like I lose all memory of whatever I've done throughout the week. haha remember the good 'ole days when I used to jot down in my planner what I wanted to write about?  yeah....
 
So let's see.  This morning, we drug ourselves out of bed at six o clock (it felt like five though because of daylight savings) to go get the Elders because they do laundry at our place on p-days.  I was sitting shot gun in my pajamas, and staring out the window at the rain as Hermana Gibson drove us on the freeway towards downtown.  I couldn't help but laugh at the irony (once again) in the fact that we live right next to the Budweiser plant.  Every morning when I jog around the park in front of our complex I can see the blue Bud Light sign glowing cheerfully.  There's always a lot of steam coming out of that plant, and Hermana Gibson and I joke that we may not be able to watch the news, but we'll know that everything's okay so long as steam is still coming out of that place. haha- Welcome to Houston. 
 
Last p-day was a blast.  We went to Broadway and played kickball.  My zone won (of course) and we all got to see eachother again.  I love that!  The other Hermanas had a cake and presents for Hermana Gibson and a few other missionaries who had March birthdays so we had a party.  I think this is the only time in my life that I'll actually be able to say that all my best friends are teenage boys.  But it is so true.  I don't know how I'm going to leave them all.  haha.  sad....
 
So anyways.  We had a journal-worthy week.  We contacted a girl who looked like a guy but she invited us in and started asking us lots of really good questions and telling us she was looking for stability and for a closer relationship with God.  She was way friendly and I think we were both getting pretty excited until she asked how we feel about gays.  Hermana Gibson took the bullet and said that we love all people and recognize all people as children of god, but that behavior is immoral and is not accepted.  Next thing I knew, she was showing us the door.  So yeah, we got run out by a lesbian this week.  That was a first for me.  That SAME NIGHT, we went to teach our investigator Julisa, a twelve year old girl, at her Grandma's house.  While we were there, someone knocked on the door in a pattern that among Mexicans is a signal for prostitution.  Weird... but I just figured it was someone making a dumb joke, until the girls ran to get the door and I heard a black man asking for "Mommy."  I thought that was weird because the grandma doesn't speak any english, but as soon as she heard him, she went really fast to the entryway and I could hear him say, "mommy, i need some grass."  Great.  So I'm pretty sure grandma is selling drugs and we were right in the middle of it.  It actually rattled me pretty bad.  We were right in the middle of a neighborhood.  Like, I'm talking actual HOUSES, which is rare here.  So I would have said it was SAFE.  But I guess you can find that sort of thing anywhere.  
 
This week we got a crazy referral from the mission office saying that President Moldenhauer had gotten an email from baton rouge louisiana's president, who had gotten an email from one of his missionaries who lived in our area before his mission, sending us to visit his girlfriend's family.  President Moldenhauer had requested a personal update on what happened.  No pressure!  We set up an appointment for Saturday night and when we got there, they were really nice and warm and welcomed us in but then proceeded to bear testimony against us and proselyte the catholic faith to us.  Bummer.  We ended the night with bottles of water and two books on "what it means to be a catholic" and "becoming friends with christ"  but no new investigators.  They were really nice people though, and their house was unbelieveable.  It reminded me of something you'd see in Utah.  I think they had molding and everything.  So we have to report that to President today. . . but that's alright.  What would a mission be without a few of those, right? 
 
Me and Hermana Gibson had a mini miracle yesterday!  We have really been trying hard to get 20 lessons each week to meet the mission standard and last night we had about twenty minutes to try and find someone to teach before our 8:00 appointment.  The woman we went to visit wasn't home, but as we were walking away, we saw a member of our branch walking out of the complex!  We asked him if we could share something with him and he said yes! so we were able to get our 20 lessons again for the second week in a row - something I've been praying pretty hard for. 
 
Another little miracle we had was that Hermana Gibson was feeling really really sick on Wednesday but we were at the chapel for a lesson and the zone leaders came by.  They were able to give her a blessing and I think that really helped her.  She's had a rough mission with lots of physical challenges but we were able to work the rest of the day so that was a miracle! 
 
Anyways, lots of good stuff going on here.  I'm getting my hair cut by the elder's investigator who is going to get baptized on the 26th at four o clock today.  She's way cute.  I hope she knows how to cut hair though- i'm kinda nervous!  haha.  It will work out I'm sure.  Just don't make fun if I walk off the plane with a round face and weird hair, okay? haha
 
CONGRATS SPENCE ON MAKING THE BBALL TEAM!  I've been thinking about you! that's awesome.  I hope you have fun.  I love you all!  thanks for all your love and support. Have a good week!
 
Love
 
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment